Willamette Pass Ski Area officially opened in 1941 with a handful of rope tows. Roy and Edra Temple were the ski area's first owners, followed by George Korn who owned and operated the ski area for more than twenty-five years. The ski area was later owned by several ownership groups, each bringing new improvements to the ski area, like the Poma Lift which was installed in the mid 1950s. In 1982 the ski area was purchased by the Wiper family who still owns and operates the ski area today. The family quickly modernized the ski area by installing a Summit Lift. Over the years we have seen major improvements: The Ski Lodge, the Twilight Triple Chair, The Sleepy Hollow Lift, the Peak 2 Lift and the state's first high speed detachable six passenger lift, which replaced the Summit Lift. Today Willamette Pass has four chairlifts and one surface lift which serve 555 acres and a vertical drop of 1,563 feet.